Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Diamond Necklace and Dazzling Blue Color Recipe for Polymer Clay

Dazzling blue

I've been enjoying working on things that are new for me lately, one thing I've never done is try to match the Pantone colors that come out every spring and fall.  I've been needing a little fresh air and thought a project like this would be just what the doctor ordered.  I never imagined my first little tutorial here would be for something that's not a cane.  When I was trying to come up with an easy project to go along with this color, none of the canes I tried were right.  It's such a pretty blue I thought it just needed to be left alone.

I feel the need to start with an acknowledgement that my pictures are... not professional.   Is that a nice way of putting it?  I've only got the camera from my iphone and the bench in my backyard to work with for now.  I also do most of my claying at night after the kids go to bed, so the lighting in the progress photos taken at my work table do leave something to be desired.  Rest assured, the color really is a dazzling blue in person.  I'm glad we got all that out in the open.  Onward and upward.

About the color recipe, I use Premo.  I really tried to come up with a mix that didn't include cobalt blue, but it just didn't work.  Cobalt blue is no longer sold in brick and mortar stores but is available from several online sources (I use Polymer Clay Express, but I know there are others).  Also, this mix is also used in the recipes I made for the next few colors for the Spring 2014 Pantone colors, so it couldn't hurt to make a bigger batch if you plan on making the rest of the colors with me.

Dazzling blue


Dazzling Blue

3 parts Ultramarine Blue
2 parts Cobalt Blue
1 part Turquoise
1/4 part White

Once you have the color mixed, roll a sheet out on the thickest setting or your pasta machine.  Fold the sheet in half so you have a double layer of blue and press to make sure the layers stick together.  Use a thin piece of plastic loosely laid across the top of your clay (I used a deli sheet, but Saran wrap or even a small plastic baggie would do the trick).

Cut out your desired shape by pressing your cutter into the plastic covered clay (I used the diamond shape from the Makin's Geometric cutter set).  Using the plastic over the top will give a nice rounded shape to your piece, making the finishing easier.  After each cut, lift the plastic and place it loosely on top of the clay again before cutting your next shape.

Cut out nine diamonds (or seven, or five, however many you think will look good around your neck).  Poke holes in the top part of your diamonds using a needle tool or pin.  I like using a head pin to make a small hole first, then switching to a larger tool to get the hole up to the size I need.  I think starting smaller leads to less distortion when pushing through the bead.

Make spacer beads for your necklace with the blue clay (I added a little pearl to mine at this point, you can use any color you want).  An easy way to make consistently sized spacer beads is to roll out a snake of clay and cut at consistent intervals along the clay.  A lot of people measure, I just wing it.  Roll your pieces into balls and pierce to make a hole.

Before baking your beads, make sure that the holes you pierced will fit with the material you choose to string it with, it will save you a lot of frustration if you guessed wrong.  Also look over your diamonds and carefully smooth any edges.  Place your beads on an index card or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees for at least 30 minutes.

To string your necklace you have a lot of options.  I chose a vintage brass beading chain with matching crimp ends and a small lobster clasp.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy your new dazzling blue necklace! Here's a preview, there are more color recipes coming soon:

Pantone Spring 2014

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful vibrant color. Love the simplicity of the design. Great wo

    ReplyDelete